A great vegan quick snack recipe for when you don't have much time.
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Two 8-ounce packages tempeh (soy-free if necessary), crumbled
• ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth (or water)
• One 15-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
• One 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
• ¼ cup liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 16 slider or 8 full-size vegan burger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
• Vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary), optional
• Sliced avocado, optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the tempeh, broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, liquid aminos, maple syrup, cumin, parsley, thyme, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh is tender and the sauce is thick, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
2. Serve on the burger buns, slathered with mayonnaise and topped with avocado (if using).